DERBYSHIRE’S MOTORCYCLE MAESTROS
WRITTEN BY PETER McMANUS
Second edition 2014
“It has been my ambition for many years to write a book about Derbyshire motorcyclists and this is the reason why : Derbyshire has produced an outstanding number of remarkable motorcyclists in every field : racers on road and grass, trials riders, scramblers, mechanics, engineers, manufacturers, designers, thinkers, historians, entrepreneurs and enthusiasts, to an extent that, in my opinion, few other counties can match. So this is their story.
Many of them are world famous and you will read about them here but there are others with a fascinating story to tell and they, too, are an important part of the book”.
SOME OF THE CHAPTERS ARE :
1. Herbert Palin : Derby’s first expert
5. Ted Mellors : Velocette works rider
9. Dennis Jones : Outstanding motorcycle engineer
15. Maurice Patey : Scott fanatic
16. George Silk : Who designed and manufactured his own motorcycle
17. Laurie Fletcher : Rolls Royce engine collector and modeller
19. Bill Lomas : World champion
22. John Cooper : Derbyshire’s favourite racing man
24. Mick Andrews : Five times Scottish Six Days Trial Winner
25. Bob Higgs : Creator of the Velocette Vulcan
29. Ivan Rhodes : Mr. Velocette
31. The motorcycle entrepreneurs
32. Rocket Ron Haslam : Remarkable racing man
The book has been used, but it is in as new condition, soft cover, 228 pages, English text.
ISBN : 978-0-9542912-7-3